Photography by James Bernal
This has to be one of my favorite combinations in this outfit! I wear a ton of skirts, mainly pencil skirts, to work because they provide a lot of options for mixing up the look of one skirt. This allows for wearing that same pencil skirt over and over again, without looking like you’ve thrown on the same clothes everyday! Here are 10 ways to wear a pencil skirt that I personally love:
1. Knotted top: I like the more casual look of tying the front of a button-up top and pairing it with really any pair of bottoms that is high-waisted, but especially a pencil skirt. It may be more laid back but still looks classy. See another example of this in my post last week.
2. Front tuck top: The front tuck of a top is something that I picked up a few years ago, when I still worked in retail. One of the girls that I worked with tucked just the front of her top into every pair of pants or skirt that she wore and looked so fab! I usually do this more so with pants, but it can look really great with a baggier top and a slim pencil skirt.
3. Jersey tank: A slim fitting jersey tank also looks super cute with a pencil skirt, particularly one that is printed or more glitzy, to balance one another out.
4. Print mixing: If you’ve checked out my previous posts, you already know that I love some good mixing of patterns. A larger print on the skirt pairs well with a smaller print in the top. Here is an example of print mixing.
5. Belted: Adding a belt to your outfit where your top and skirt meet is the perfect way to accentuate your waist. There are a variety of ways to tie a belt as well for a fun variation of the traditional belt. More to come on that!
6. Blazer for leather: To seamlessly transition from day to night, swap your work blazer for a leather jacket at night. This immediately takes your look from classy to edgier.
7. Pretty blouse: You can’t go wrong with the traditional pretty blouse. This could include floral prints, lace details, or a bow at the neckline.
8. Denim on denim: I just love the combination of a denim pencil skirt with a chambray top. I don’t personally own a denim pencil skirt (yet) but am on the lookout for one because I want to rock this look soo bad!
9. Peplum: Peplum tops and skirts are my absolute favorite. I will have to dedicate a blog post specifically to them in the near future. They work well for all body types by adding curves where they don’t exist or accentuating those curves you do have in just the right place.
10. Crop top: If you want to be really bold, try a high-waisted pencil skirt with a crop top. This is especially fun with a matching crop top and skirt set. When done right, this look is way cute!
What is one of your favorite ways to wear a pencil skirt?