Sweater: H&M cute option | Top: Forever 21 similar | Skirt: H&M good options here and here | Tights: Target | Shoes: Forever 21 love these | Necklace: Ily Couture same sold here, other pretty options here and here | Bag: Forever 21 similar or less expensive option here
Photography by Daniel Shambra
Happy New Year friends! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and New Year’s Eve! I know that I’ve been pretty MIA from the blog scene lately but school absolutely kicked my butt this last semester! In retrospect, I’m not really sure why a financial markets class seemed like a good idea to take as an elective? It’s pretty much a math class and I felt like I was reliving my nightmare of high school calculus all over again! On the bright side, fashion of course has helped to keep me sane. I can’t get enough of the latest trends for this season!
A trend that I just recently got on board with is skater skirts. One of the many things about the skater skirt is that it can be transitioned from season to season. The one in this outfit is faux leather, making it a bit more edgy, but there are sooo many options from casual to dressy to girly. So today I will be talking about 10 ways to style your skater skirt for these colder months:
- Tights and booties: Step one is definitely to cover up those legs in this chilly weather! I am all about a pair of fun tights like these polka dot ones to add that little extra flair and contrast. And booties or taller boots as well make for a great touch along with those tights. For a more glam look, a cute pair of heels or flats look great as well.
- Plaid button-up: If I haven’t mentioned this already, I am particularly obsessed with plaid this season. The look of a plaid button-up top tucked into a skater skirt is perfection this season!
- Leather jacket: A leather jacket makes any outfit that much more chic, but in combination with a skater skirt in particular is a must-have.
- Blazer and statement necklace: This is a great way to make your look work appropriate. For work, this would of course require a longer skirt than the one that I’m wearing here, but this pairing definitely dresses up your skater skirt.
- Graphic tee and cardigan. Pairing a graphic tee and cardigan with a skater skirt is such a cute weekend look. I like the look of the tee tucked into the skirt with a cardigan thrown on over it for a little extra warmth.
- Vest and button-up top: Vests are another go-to piece for me. Think faux leather or fur teamed up with a loose fitting button-up top tucked into a skater skirt of your choice.
- Denim jacket: A denim jacket is another way to create a more casual look with your skater skirt. This look can be finished with a simple tee and either some cute, stylish sneakers or ankle booties.
- Pullover sweater: I am a huge fan of pullover sweaters this year. I have been pairing them quite a bit with button-up tops, as I did in this outfit. I love the look of the collar peeking out from the sweater.
- Hoodless sweatshirt with combat boots: For a tougher vibe, try pairing your skater skirt with a hoodless sweatshirt (a hoodie is probably a little too casual) and a pair of combat boots. Something like this as far as a sweatshirt would be too cute!
- Mix prints: For those of you who have been following along on my blog for awhile, you already know that I am an avid fan of print mixing. Doing so with the skater skirt is no exception. This is one of my personal favorite ways to create a more unique look.
What are you favorite ways to style your skater skirt?