Sweater: Nordstrom Rack good option | Shorts: Cotton On similar here and here | Bag: Forever 21 love this | Necklace: Ily Couture (sold out) same available here | Watch: Michael Kors | Bracelet: Nordstrom similar | Sunnies: Karen Walker
Photography by Patricia Cortina
When looking through the photos for this blog post, I felt inspired to write about something a little different than usual. I was thinking about how my photographer for this look was one of my sorority sisters, who I had never even met before the day that she took these photos for me. While I graduated a few years ago, she is still in the sorority so our time at Sacramento State did not overlap. And yet when I had reached out to her about taking some photos for me, she was so excited. What I thought of as her doing a favor to me, she viewed as a great opportunity for herself. How great is that to have a stranger jump at the chance to help you out because you are a fellow sister? I also started thinking about how lucky I am to have met my best friend through our sorority. I lived with her for practically 7 years, if you count our time living down the hall from each other in the dorms, and she knows me better than anyone. And most of my other close friends? Sorority sisters. If you were to ask me in high school whether I saw myself joining a sorority, I would have laughed. But making the decision to do so was life changing.
I think that it’s important for people who have not been a part of the Greek community to know the real deal when it comes to sororities. There are a lot of positives that you may not know. So here are 5 (of many) great things about sororities:
1. Sororities encourage the empowerment of women. You are surrounded by intelligent women that want to succeed in a high-powered career and do just that upon graduating. I have friends in all sorts of fields ranging from counseling, lobbying, and finance. These are very motivated women that strive to bring other women up with them.
2. The Greek system instills leadership qualities. It takes the involvement and dedication of many people in order to run any organization effectively, a sorority being no different, with 20 plus positions. Through these positions, the women have the opportunity to learn how to effectively motivate others so that things run smoothly, a skill integral in business.
3. Networking skills become second nature. When you’re thrown into a room with 100 other women, many of whom you don’t initially know, you learn to talk to them! You never know when you could come across the CEO of your dream company and how would you know without the confidence to initiate a conversation? It is also through networking with sorority sisters that I’ve found most of my jobs and internships throughout my time in Sacramento.
4. Sororities enforce the importance of time management. When you have multiple activities and responsibilities on your plate, you have no choice but to exercise your time wisely because there is not much time to waste. Sorority is a pretty huge commitment and so it quickly becomes important for you to manage all of your time well in order to stay on top of school, work, and other commitments in addition to those commitments that you’ve made to your sisters.
5. They help emphasize the importance of charity. Sororities have a national philanthropy and sometimes a local one as well. Through sorority, women are opened up to volunteer opportunities that they perhaps would never have even been aware of previously. And this not only helps the community but builds a great sense of accomplishment in the women of the sorority themselves.
To all of my fellow Phi Sig sisters, thank you for such a wonderful experience!
And thank you everyone so much for reading!